Brown RISD Hillel sponsors Israel programming representing a wide range of perspectives. Hillel unequivocally supports the continued existence of the state of Israel: for us, however, this support can include critique as well. We are committed to fostering balanced, informed dialogue about Israel on campus, and to providing programming that encompasses perspectives as broad as those of the members our diverse community. In the past, Brown RISD Hillel has sponsored appearances on campus by:
- Representative Barney Frank
- Israeli Singer Ivri Lider
- Ambassador Michael Oren
- HaDag Nachash, popular Israeli hip-hop band
- Khaled Abu Toame, Palestinian-Israeli Journalist and Correspondent for the Jerusalem Post
- David Makovsky, Director of the Project on the Middle East Peace Process, Washington Institute for Near East Policy, and Amjad Atallah, a Palestinian and President of Strategic Assessments Initiative, for a panel discussion (co-sponsored by the Watson Institute and Brown's Judaic Studies program)
- Gil Gan Mor, a gay rights attorney at the Israel human rights foundation
- American, Palestinian, Jordanian and Egyptian students from the Arava Institute, an environmental research program devoted to middle east cooperation and dialogue
- Sami Michael, an Iraqi-Israeli writer
- Alon Tal, Israel's foremost environmental activist
- David Baker, the senior foreign press co-ordinator for the Israeli Prime Minister
and many, many others. Some of our other past and upcoming programs include:
- Israeli movie nights
- An Israel-Palestinian youth music group who perform interactive shows and do coexistence work.
- An art exhibit featuring photographs from students traveling in Israel.
Brown RISD Hillel's community includes people of all political views and leanings; we hope that you will join us in creating a campus environment that is respectful and welcoming to all viewpoints and opinions.
We have several Israel-focused Student Groups, including: Brown Students for Israel
J Street U
The Israel Committee
Students from these groups, and the general Brown RISD Community, frequently attend AIPAC, J Street, and other Israel-focused conferences. If your interested in getting Hillel's financial support for one of these conferences, please fill out this form.
Looking for more Israel opportunities? Look no further! Check out Israel Opportunities at Brown & RISD on Facebook
to hear about programs from different organizations, Taglit-Birthright Israel opportunities through Hillel, and study abroad information from your university. You're also welcome to post things you hear about on the page's wall!
Looking for a way to get to Israel?
Taglit-Birthright Israel - If you're Jewish, age 18-22, and have never been on a peer-group trip to Israel, Hillel offers the best ways for you to have the time of your life in Israel - For Free!
MASA - Contact our Israel Engagement Fellow, Sara Miller, or check out MASA's Web site.
Been thinking of an internship in Israel? Check out this new blog!